Diesel Equipment Technology
The Diesel Equipment Technology program provides the technical knowledge and hands-on skills needed for high-demand careers in the logging, construction, mining, agriculture, and trucking industries.
With a mixture of in-class instruction and hands-on training, Centralia College diesel tech students receive comprehensive training in welding and in the preventative maintenance and repair of diesel engines, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmissions, and HVAC systems.
Did you know Centralia College offers an applied bachelor's degree in Diesel Technology? Take your career beyond the shop and into management in just two years.
Diesel Equipment Technology
Completion of the Diesel Equipment Technology program prepares students to diagnose, repair, and maintain agricultural and construction equipment, diesel locomotives, forklifts, heavy-duty equipment, HVAC systems, and logging and trucking equipment.
Diesel Equipment Technology Education Plan
Degree: Associate in Applied Science
Emphasis: Diesel Equipment Technology
Total Credits: 99
|First year||Certificate of Proficiency - Industrial Trades|
* Courses may be taken during summer quarter.
** BTEC 191 can be taken any quarter prior to or in the same quarter as DET 190.
*** Students must take either DET 230 OR DET 190.
The following tools are required for students enrolled in the Diesel Equipment TechnologypProgram at Centralia College. We recommend the tools you buy are of high quality and carry a lifetime guarantee.
As a Centralia College Diesel Equipment Technology student, you are eligible to purchase
at discount prices from a wide range of companies through their Vocational Education Pricing Programs. These programs are available through Snap-On, Craftsman, Matco, and other large tool manufacturers. For more information or questions, contact the Diesel Equipment Technology instructors or each individual company.
Required Freshman Year Tool List
- Combination Wrench Set SAE 5/16”- 1 5/16”
- Combination Wrench Set Metric 8mm – 19mm
- 1/4” Socket Set SAE and Metric
- 3/8” Socket Set SAE and Metric
- 1/2” Socket Set SAE and Metric
- 3/8” Extension Set
- 1/2” Extension Set
- 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2” Ratchets
- Screwdriver Set (6 Piece)
- Side Cut Pliers
- Arc Joint Pliers
- Locking Pliers
- Snap Ring Pliers
- Slip Joint Pliers
- Wire Stripper/Crimper Pliers
- 8oz and 16oz Ball Peen Hammer
- 3-5 lb Dead-Blow Hammer
- Feeler Gauge Set
- 1/4”, 1/2”, 3/4” Cold Chisels
- Center Punch
- Pry Bar Set
- Rubber Tipped Air Nozzle
- Cotter Key Puller
- Hacksaw with Blades
- Measuring Tape
- Gasket Scraper
- Hex Key Set SAE and Metric
- Digital Volt/Ohm/Amp Meter (comparable to Fluke 115, Auto Ranging, DC Amps 10 or More)
- Tool Storage Box
Suggested Sophomore Year Tool List
- 10” Extension Bar: 3/8” Drive
- 10” Extension Bar: 1/2” Drive
- Torx Socket Set T8-T50
- Allen Wrench Socket Set 5/64”-3/4”
- Allen Wrench Socket Set 2mm-19mm
- Pliers Kit
- 12” Pry Bar
- 18” Pry Bar
- Drift Punch: 3/8” x 8”
- Drift Punch: 1/2” x 7”
- Inspection Mirror
- Hook/Pick Set
- Torque Wrench: 1/2”, 25-250 ft. lbs.
- Torque Wrench: 3/8”, 25-100 ft. lbs.
- 0-6” Caliper
- 0-2” Micrometer
- Dial Indicator Set: 0.0001” Graduation
- Hydraulic Wrench Set – 14-piece
- 1/2” Impact Wrench
- 1-3/8” Comb Wrench
- 1-7/16” Comb Wrench
- 1-1/2” Comb Wrench
- 16” Arc Joint Pliers
- 3 lb. Hammer
- 1 lb. Brass Hammer
- 9” Rolling Head Pry Bar (Heel Bar)
- 18” Rolling Head Pry Bar (Heel Bar)
- 22” Rolling Head Pry Bar (Heel Bar)
- 4-piece Flare Nut Wrench Set
- Crowfoot Set – Metric and Standard
- Mini Butane Torch
Dean of Instruction
Healthcare and Industrial Trades
Office: TEC 114E
Email Jake Fay