Types of Aid

Different types of aid work for different students. Centralia College is committed to connecting students to the funding that works best for them.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students to promote access to post-secondary education.

  • Available to students pursuing their first undergraduate degree who are enrolled in an approved program.
  • Must complete a FAFSA form each year.
  • Maximum award amount is $7,395 for the 2023-24 academic year depending on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the FAFSA.
  • The smaller the EFC, the larger the possible award.
  • Students can receive a maximum of six years of Pell Grant Awards.
  • Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) to receive their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 9 to 11 credits will receive 75 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • Students enrolled in 6 to 8 credits will receive 50 percent of their maximum award eligibility.
  • A minimum award may be made for student enrolled in less than six credits per term.


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) assists undergraduates with the highest level of need. Award amounts will vary depending on the availability of funds and student's EFC.

  • File your FAFSA each year.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits).
  • Student must be Pell Grant eligible.
  • Funds are awarded based on quarterly priority deadlines.


Washington State Passport to Careers

The Passport to Careers program can assist you on your journey toward a postsecondary education or apprenticeship. It provides financial assistance and support services to students who meet eligibility requirements.

  • You were in the care of the Washington State, tribal, or federal foster care system, or experienced unaccompanied homelessness.
  • You are a resident of Washington, or your case is based in Washington State.
  • You are or will be enrolled at least half-time at Centralia College before turning 22.
  • You are not planning to pursue a degree in theology.
  • You have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree.

To apply, submit one of the following:


Washington College Grant

The Washington College Grant is a state grant program for Washington residents with financial need.

  • Submit either the FAFSA or WASFA application each year.
  • Have a family income of equal to or less than the state median.
  • Be a Washington resident (dependent students' residency is based on parents' resident status).
  • Be pursuing a certificate of proficiency, associate degree, or bachelor’s of applied science degree.
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology.
  • Award amounts are based on the rate of tuition.
  • Award amounts are adjusted for enrollment.
  • Students can receive Washington College Grant funding for a maximum of five years or 125% of their academic program length.


Federal and State Work-Study (Need-Based Employment)

Work-study programs offer you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college. Work-study can be a great opportunity to enhance your current course work as well as gain valuable real-world work experience. Receiving a work-study award does not guarantee employment.

Students may work a maximum of 15 hours per week while attending Centralia College. Work-study is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need.

To qualify, students must complete the FAFSA each year.

Centralia College Foundation Scholarships

Centralia College has many scholarship opportunities available to students. See updated information on the Scholarships webpage.

Also, scholarships are listed online at washboard.org; this is a free scholarship clearinghouse that pairs scholarship seekers with scholarship providers.

Other Types of Aid

Centralia College does not participate in any of the federal student loan programs. This means you cannot receive a Federal Direct Loan (formerly known as a Stafford Loan) or Federal Parent Loan while attending Centralia College.

If you are still interested in accessing a student loan while attending Centralia College, an alternative loan may be a good option for you. Alternative loans are loans that are given by a private lender, whether it be a bank or another type of guaranteeing agency. In order to acquire an alternative loan you must be credit worthy and have an income source for repayment of the loan or a co-signer. You will need to find the lending agency that can provide you with the best interest rate. Since alternative loans are considered to be educational resources, the Financial Aid Office must certify the amount of loan you are eligible for. Eligibility is tied to your cost of attendance and how much financial need you have in your budget.

For additional information contact the Financial Aid Office.

The Worker Retraining program can assist with tuition, fees, books, and supplies for those who qualify. Generally, students would be considered dislocated workers if they are receiving Washington State unemployment insurance benefits or have exhausted benefits within the previous forty eight months, or are on Commissioner Approved Training.

Joanie Meister
Transitional Services Building, Room 101
Email Joanie Meister

The WorkFirst program helps cover the cost of tuition and books for eligible students. To be eligible, you must be on TANF. The WorkFirst program covers vocational/technical classes and certificates/degrees, high school completion, asset/compass testing, GED testing, and some continuing education courses. WorkFirst Work-Study is also available to students who are receiving TANF and need to work.

Lisa Welch
Transitional Services Building, Room 101
Email Lisa Welch

The Basic Food Employment and Training program is a partnership between Centralia College and the Department of Social Health Services (DSHS). Individuals must currently be receiving or are qualified to receive basic food assistance and must be enrolled in a vocational/technical degree program, or in ESL, ABE, or GED program courses. The BFET program may assist with tuition, books, some required supplies and testing fees. BFET students may also qualify for a childcare referral to Working Connections through DSHS. BFET students cannot be receiving DSHS TANF cash assistance.

Brooke Merchant
Transitional Services Building, Room 101
Email Brooke Merchant
Margret Friedley
Transitional Services Building, Room 101
Email Margret Friedley

The Opportunity Grant can assist with tuition, fees, books, and some supplies for low-income Washington residents over age 18. The grant may pay for up to 45 credits over three years.

Lisa Welch
Transitional Services Building, Room 101
Email Lisa Welch



Closed June 10-28
8am-5pm Monday-Thursday, 8am-12pm Friday (fall, winter, spring)
8am-5pm Monday-Thursday (summer)