Would you like help with your writing? The Writing Center is offering four ways to get support!
Get Writing Help Online or In Person
Getting feedback on your writing is easier than ever. You can submit your paper to the Writing Center online, schedule a web conference, or meet with a writing consultant in-person on campus.
Writing Center Hours
How to Get Writing Help
- Click here to access the online writing portal.
- Use your Centralia College email account to login.
- Fill out the form.
- Check your Centralia College email account (INCLUDING YOUR JUNK MAIL) for the next two business days for a reply from a writing consultant.
Note: Due to high volumes, it may take longer than usual for students to receive feedback on their online submissions. If students need feedback more quickly, they might consider scheduling an in-person session in TAC 301.
- Reserve a time online for an in-person appointment in TAC 301.
- To prepare for your appointment, bring a printed copy of your paper.
- During your appointment, please maintain 3 feet of social distance between yourself and others.
- If you are sick, stay home and call the Writing Center 360-623-8841 to cancel your appointment.
- The CDC also recommends masking indoors. While not required on campus, masking is proven to reduce spread and protect at-risk individuals.
- Reserve a time online for a web conference via Microsoft Teams.
- Watch for a confirmation email with a button that you can click to join the web conference at the scheduled time.
- Before the web conference, email a copy of your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org and make sure that you have a working microphone.
Have a Question About the Writing Center?
Send us an email at email@example.com or leave us a voicemail at 360-623-8841.
We Encourage Each Student to:
- Be prepared to actively participate in the learning process.
- Bring any materials (such as any handouts, assignment requirements, books, drafts, or notes) that might be useful in a session.
- Be familiar with an assignment’s requirements and the instructor’s expectations.
- Ask questions. Consultants are willing to explain a concept several times and in different ways.
- Be the author of the paper. The consultant will provide suggestions, but the student makes the final decision about what is in the writing.
- Be prepared to show the consultant where you have borrowed wording or ideas from sources. Consultants can help students review format and citation guidelines, but the student is ultimately responsible for correctly quoting, paraphrasing, and citing.
- Start a paper as early as possible so there is time to complete the assignment and revise it.
- Try out different consultants to find one that is a good fit.
We Encourage Each Consultant to:
- Be available to students who are looking for help and actively listen to student questions.
- Create a positive learning environment by being professional, polite, and approachable.
- Look first for those errors that will affect an essay on a global level before looking for sentence-level errors.
- Continue to improve and learn new skills that might help students.
- Model important learning skills by consulting resources when he or she does not know the answer to a student's question.
- Encourage open communication between a student and an instructor when the student has a question about grades or instructor expectations.
The Writing Center supports Centralia College’s mission by providing a welcoming and inclusive learning environment that supports students in developing writing skills needed to succeed in academic endeavors and achieve scholastic excellence.
Our Writing Center and its consultants are committed to:
- Providing quality consultation services and resources that support students with any phase of the writing process as they work on assignments from a wide range of classes or disciplines.
- Engaging in ongoing training and professional development to ensure that the Writing Center can effectively meet the needs of the students and faculty it serves.
The Writing Center will endeavor to:
- Offer its consultants training on topics related to writing, peer-tutoring, and working with a diverse population of students.
- Arrange workshops and events that introduce students to writing skills necessary for academic success.
- Utilize peer consultants to provide students with face-to-face or online feedback on their writing as they move through the different stages of the writing process.
- Maintain a library of reference materials regarding a variety of writing topics from a range of disciplines.
- Promote the Writing Center services so that students are aware of the support available to them as they pursue their chosen academic paths.
- Liaise with faculty and staff to ensure that the center is continuing to meet the needs of its stakeholders.
Contact the Writing Center
TransAlta Commons, Room 301