Student Support Services
Student Support Services' intent is to aid first-generation, economically disadvantaged, and students with disabilities to stay in college and/or transfer to a four-year college to earn their bachelor's degree.
What is Student Support Services?
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federal TRiO program funded by the Department of Education, started in 1965 after the passing of the Higher Education Act.
Its goal is to provide opportunities for academic development, assist students with basic college requirements, and to motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education.
Student Support Services' intent is to aid first-generation (neither parents have a 4-year degree), economically disadvantaged (usually if you qualify for financial aid), and students with disabilities to stay in college and/or transfer to a four-year institution to earn their bachelor's degree.
To qualify for Student Support Services, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen or national of the U.S. or meet the residency requirements for Federal Financial Aid
And you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be economically disadvantaged (usually if you qualify for financial aid)
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent has received a 4-year degree)
- Have a documented physical or learning disability
All services are free to the students!
- Educational Planning
- Transfer Advising and Planning
- Financial Aid Information Guidance
- FAFSA Application Assistance
- Campus Referrals and Advocacy
- Scholarship Resources
- Study Center and Computer Access
- Math Tutoring (group and\or one-on-one)
- 4 Year College Visits/Tours
- Cultural Activities
- Educational Workshops
- Career Exploration
- Personal Statement Assistance
- Special Events and Social Activities
- Student Success Class
The TRiO SSS programs must meet the following objectives from the U.S. Department of Education guidelines:
- Enroll at least 220+ students
- At least 55% college retention rate
- At least 80% of students must be in good academic standing
- At least 30% of students must graduate with an associate's degree or certificate within four years
- At least 62% of students with an associate's degre or certificate must transfer to a four-year institution within four years
The TRiO SSS at Centralia College had the follow statistics in 2016-17:
|Good Academic Standing||80%||82%|
Once you complete an application and eligibility has been verified, schedule an orientation so we can learn more about your needs and interests. At SSS we will work with you to develop an Educational/Career Plan that addresses your academic, career, and personal concerns. You will then be guided through the program benefits and opportunities here at SSS.
Email Liisa Preslan
Thorlea (Pete) Kirtz
Email Thorlea Kirtz
Email Jason Moir