College-Sponsored Student Travel

Information on Clery Act-qualifying student trips is needed by Campus Safety & Security for follow-up with the local law enforcement agency associated with the trip location.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) is a federal law requiring colleges and universities participating in federal financial aid programs to maintain and disclose campus crime statistics and security information that occur within the College’s Clery reportable geography.  Included is the requirement to disclose on an annual basis crime statistics that occur during College sponsored/arranged domestic and international student trips. Centralia College personnel who are administratively responsible for domestic and international student trips are expected to report student trip information for compliance regardless if any Clery Act reportable crimes occurred.

After your Clery Act Student Travel Form has been submitted, Campus Safety & Security will follow-up with the local law enforcement agency associated with the trip location. Campus Safety & Security will send a request to the trip location local law enforcement agency to determine if any Clery Act qualifying crimes (occurring during the trip time frame and at the College arranged accommodation and/or related academic space) were reported directly to the local law enforcement and thus may not be known to College personnel.

Reportable Trips

For trips to be reportable, Centralia College must have control over the trip or program accommodation and any related academic space used in conjunction with the trip. Control, as defined by the Clery Act, means that the College directly or indirectly rents, leases, or has some other type of written agreement (including an informal one, such as a letter or an e-mail) for use of a building or property, or a portion of a building or property. Even if there is no payment involved in the transaction, for Clery Act purposes, a written agreement for the use of space gives the College control of that space for the time period specified in the agreement. Some examples of a written agreement include renting hotel rooms, leasing apartments, leasing space in a student housing facility or academic space on another campus and even an e-mail agreement for use of space free of charge. The controlled space must be used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s educational purposes and frequently used by students. Centralia College defines "frequently used by students" as meeting at least one of the following two criteria:

  • More than one night
  • Repeated use of the same location   

Note: Day trips and student-organized or private trips are not reportable.

Study Abroad Taught and Housed by a Third Party or Local Institution

If the College sends students to study abroad at a location or facility that the College doesn't own or control, the College does not have to include statistics for crimes that occur in those facilities. If the College rents or leases space for students in a hotel or student housing facility, the College is in control of that space for the time period covered by the agreement. For example, if there is an agreement with another institution to allow Centralia College students to enroll, but not to provide specific rooms, etc., the College does not have Clery reporting requirements.

How to Report Clery Act Qualifying Student Trips

Trips that meet the established criteria must be reported via a Clery Act Student Travel Form. The Clery Act Student Travel Forms should be submitted after travel is completed to ensure complete information. Forms must be submitted within two (2) weeks of the conclusion of travel.


360-623-8888 Reporting Line