(Video by Joey Hansen, Upward Bound 2010)
(Upward Bound students visit Maryhill Museum.)
What is Upward Bound?Upward Bound, a part of Centralia College's Trio Programs, is a federally funded program that provides career and education planning services for low-income, minority, and first generation, degree-seeking, college-bound high school students. Upward Bound provides year-long Academic Support (tutoring, study skills and test preparation), Career Exploration (workshops, conferences, guest speakers, job shadowing, classes and mentoring) and Cultural Enrichment (field trips, performances and special events).
The Upward Bound summer program is offered for six weeks every summer. At least one summer's participation is mandatory. The summer program is a fun way for students to keep up with their studies during the summer months, prepare for the next academic year, and catch up on subjects where they might be struggling. At the end of each week of the program, students are taken on exciting field trips that are academically and culturally enriching. The field trips range from campus visits to outdoor adventures like river rafting. All field trip and classroom expenses are covered, and students receive weekly stipends so there are no financial costs.
Upward Bound services
- Academic Support: tutoring, study skills, test preparation
- Career Exploration: workshops, conferences, guest speakers, job shadowing, classes, mentoring
- College Entrance Support: college applications, financial aid forms, scholarship, campus tours
- Cultural Enrichment: field trips, performances, special events
Upward Bound eligibilityStudents are eligible to participate in Upward Bound if they:
- are currently enrolled in 9th or 10th grade;
- are attending either Centralia, Rochester, Toledo, or W.F. West High School;
- have academic potential;
- want to go to college;
- are a member of a low-income family and/or a family in which neither parent received a four-year college degree; and are willing to make a commitment to the Upward Bound program.
Upward Bound staff
|Liisa Preslan, Director
Contact Liisa Preslan
|Anthony (Tony) Holm,
Contact Tony Holm
Contact Kathleen Vodjansky-Ward
Upward Bound Specialist
Contact Caytee Cline
Contact Elva Villanueva