What is Student Support Services?
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federal TRiO program funded by the Department of Education, and is one of the more than 1,000 similar TRiO programs in the nation. Our intent is to aid first-generation (neither parents have a 4-year degree), economically disadvantaged, and disabled students to stay in college, graduate with a 2-year degree and/or transfer to a 4-year institution to earn their bachelor's degree.
Our goal is for you to be successful as a student. At SSS we understand the challenges of college life and the obstacles that can occur. We provide a place where someone will listen and work with you to succeed at Centralia College. For more information about the SSS program, contact us at (360) 736-9391, ext. 201.
Where is SSS?We are located on the upper level of the Student Center (diagonally across from the cashier's office). Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays. Appointments are available upon request. For appointments, please call us at (360) 736-9391, ext. 201.
What services do we offer?We offer individual services for each student. We'll work with you by providing a wide range of services at no cost:
- Academic assistance:
- Academic and educational planning
- Professional math tutoring
- Writing assistance
- Workshops (study skills, overcoming test anxiety, using a graphing calculator, test taking strategies, money management and budgeting)
- Financial aid & scholarship information and assistance
- Textbook and equipment loans
- Career exploration
- Transfer planning and college visits
- Cultural activities
How to apply for Student Support ServicesTo become a member of Student Support Services, you need to complete an application. When eligibility has been verified, an orientation will be scheduled so we can learn more about your needs and interests. We will work with you to develop an Educational/Career Plan to address your academic, career and personal concerns. We will guide you through the program benefits and opportunities as well as the policies and the procedures.
To apply, stop by our office, call (360) 736-9391, ext. 201, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Student Support Services application:
Eligibility for Student Support ServicesTo qualify for Student Support Services, you must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen or national of the U.S. or meet the residency requirements for Federal Financial Aid
- Have demonstrated or tested at college level and enrolled in at least 6 college level (100 or above) credits and need academic assistance
- Enrolled in a degree program that transfers to a 4-year college
- Meet income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education
- First-generation college student (neither parent has received a 4-year degree)
- Have a physical or documented learning disability
Scholarship information & tools
- 10 Things You Should Know About Scholarships: PDF | DOC
- Guidelines for Letters of Recommendation: PDF | DOC
- Personal Statements: PDF | DOC
- Nursing Scholarship Info: PDF | DOC
Student Support Services staff
|Liisa Taylor, Director
Contact Liisa Taylor
|Thorlea (Pete) Kirtz, Program Specialist
|Jason Moir, Program Specialist
Contact Jason Moir
|Kat Kaut, Secretary Senior
Contact Kat Kaut
|Austin Majors, Transfer Specialist
Contact Austin Majors