skip to contentskip to content

transit bus

Transportation Options

Many low-cost alternatives exist for getting to campus. Here you will find less expensive alternatives to getting around by car. As gas prices go higher and higher, try public transit — an inexpensive and environmentally friendly option. The links below provide useful information to help you map out your route to campus.

Public & Private Transit

Helpful Resources

Twin Transit Bus

Twin Transit logoTwin Transit is the bus system that serves the Chehalis and Centralia area. It is a convenient way to travel around Chehalis and Centralia. Of all the public transportation options available, Twin Transit has the most frequent schedule and most stops in the area. Bus schedules vary so make sure to get to the bus stop 5 minutes early. Bike racks are attached to the front of the bus so you can ride your bike to the bus stop.

Centralia College Carpools

It's cool to carpoolA carpool is a group of two or more people sharing a ride to work or school in a private vehicle. For many, carpooling provides the most flexible alternative to driving alone. It's convenient, cost-effective, easy, and environmentally friendly.
Rideshare Sign-up Board: On the wiki boards below, you can post your information for other carpoolers to see, and find other people who have posted information. Click on the area where you would be commuting from. If you can't find anyone who matches your needs, take a look in other areas where people might be driving through your area.

Campus Parking & Parking Permits

parking lot

Parking and Permits

Parking is available with a permit during the day in any of the campus parking lots; street parking is also available. Student and guest parking permits may be obtained at the Welcome Desk in the Student Center, located at the corner of Rock and Walnut Streets. Please bring your student ID and license plate number with you. Permits are free; however, there is a $2.00 replacement cost. For more parking information, contact the Welcome Desk at (360) 736-9391, ext. 428 or Central Services, (360) 736-9391, ext. 402.

Special Parking Spaces

Students and staff who own electric cars, hybrid cars, or participate in a carpool will have reserved parking spots available. The electric car parking spots will have 120 volt, 15 amp outlet service for each spot. Vehicle owners will have to submit proof of fuel type to qualify for these designated spots. Cars will have to display proof of permit in their car. Availability of space is not guaranteed, but more spots may open up depending on popularity.
For more information, contact:
Electric car parking: Gil Elder, (360) 736-9391, ext. 218
Hybrid car parking: Bonnie Myer, (360) 736-9391, ext. 230
Carpool parking: Bonnie Myer, (360) 736-9391, ext. 230

Intercity Transit Vanpools

Intercity Transit logoA vanpool is a group of people who commute together in a passenger van. Intercity Transit vanpools must commute to or from Thurston County. Currently there are a number of vanpools running which need more riders. The cost depends on how many people (min.5) are in your vanpool, how many total miles traveled each day, and how many days per week it is used. The driver's fare is sometimes free in exchange for operating the van. Note: Currently there are no vanpools which serve only Lewis County.

Rural Public Transit

Lower Columbia transitThe rural public transportation service North from Longview to Tumwater is available 2 times a day Monday thru Friday. Present stops include Longview (Transit Center), Castle Rock (Castle Rock Park & Ride), Exit 63 (Winlock/Toledo exit at the Shell Station), Centralia (Amtrak Station) and Tumwater (Tumwater Square). Rural transportation is open to the general public. Vans are equipped with bike racks. Saturday service with 2 trips, morning and afternoon to Vancouver and 1 trip mid-day to Tumwater, is also provided.

Lewis Mountain Highway Transit

Lewis Mountain HighwayLewis Mountain Highway Transit is a bus service that serves Eastern Lewis County. Lewis Transit runs Monday through Friday and has stops in Packwood, Randle, Glenoma, Morton, Mossyrock, Silver Creek, Salkum, Onalaska, Centralia, and Chehalis. Currently it is the only public transit service that serves Eastern and Central Lewis County.

Other Transit Options

Cowlitz Tribal Transit Service: Cowlitz Tribal Transit Service picks up at Amtrak. Goes to Longview and back with stops along the way. Primarily medical appointments (dialysis). It is a "dial-a-ride" service, so there is not a set schedule each day. Students can call to find out what the schedule is for that day. Not a guarantee going same places everyday, same time. Currently, it is a 14-passenger bus and Dodge Sprint, and an additional bus is expected by end of year. Free service. Phone: (360) 864-8731.
Paratransit: Paratransit is a transit system designed for the elderly, people with disabilities, or people unable to use an accessible transit system. An application to determine if the rider is eligible or not may have to be filled out before Paratransit may be used. Their service is by appointment only so they can know what special needs the rider might have. Phone: (800) 846-5438.
Quality Taxi: Quality Taxi is a service for those who might need to take short trips in and around Chehalis & Centralia where other options might not go. Might be good option in case of emergencies and people might not have cars. It would cost more per ride than most of the other options. Phone: (360) 451-0804.

Park and Ride Lots

Need a convenient place to meet with fellow commuters? Park and Ride lots provide a good place for just that. Here are the lots that could best serve Centralia College commuters, courtesy of WSDOT:

Transportation Links