Advising for New Students
3 Steps to Advising
The following three steps must be completed before a student is entered into the advising system (see How to Register
for priority students).
- Apply for admission. Once your application is received, a file is set up for you in the Admissions & Records Office.
- Take the placement test (COMPASS) at the Testing Center.
- Request official transcripts from schools you have attended to be sent to the Admissions & Records Office.
After you apply for admission and take the placement test, you will be invited to an "Advising Fair" held several weeks prior to the start of the quarter for which you have applied. See Important Dates
. During your Advising Fair appointment, you will:
- Receive information about procedures and policies.
- Meet with a faculty advisor from your area of interest to:
- Discuss your plans.
- Review your course placement recommendations (from COMPASS test):
See Compass Placement Rules (pdf)
- Select and schedule courses.
- Identify your permanent advisor.
- Register and pay tuition and fees.