To qualify for federal sources of financial aid, students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
to the U.S. Department of Education. Submitting the FAFSA online determines eligibility for student aid by:
- Applying a standard financial aid eligibility calculation to a student's and family's personal and financial information, and
- Conducting checks with other government agencies (such as Social Security Administration and Selective Service) to ensure that the applicant is eligible for federal student aid, and
- Electronically forwarding a record of the application to the school(s) specified by the applicant.
Tips for Completing the FAFSA Online
- Before filing the FAFSA online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, you should first request a PIN number. For dependent students, at least one parent must apply for a pin number to complete the electronic application. You can apply for this PIN number at
- Keep copies of your filed tax returns. The Central Processor randomly chooses 30% of the applications for verification. If you are chosen, we will request copies of student and (if applicable) parent tax returns.
- The Federal Student Aid Information Center can be contacted at 1-800-4-FED-AID.
- Save Your FAFSA: Save your application frequently using the Save button at the bottom of the screen. That way, if you lose your Internet connection, you'll have a copy of the FAFSA data you've already entered.
- Get Help: To get an index of help topics, click on the Help button. If you need more help, call 1-800-511-5806.
- Clear Your Form: Use the button labeled "Exit" with caution. Selecting this button and answering "OK" to the prompt that appears will erase every answer on your FAFSA.
- Print Help Topics: To print the text for a help topic or a Frequently Asked Question, open the help window. For Windows users, press the Ctrl and P keys at the same time. For Macintosh users, press the Command and P keys at the same time.
- Don't use the navigation buttons (Back, Forward, Reload, and Stop) on your browser's toolbar.