Health & Wellness Center
The venerable high school gym, now home to Centralia College Trailblazer athletics and a wide-ranging health and fitness program, was completed in 1936. The property at Iron and Walnut Streets had been purchased for that purpose by the school district. After small improvements and renovations had been made, the old gymnasium was sold to Centralia College in 1969. Small improvements continued to be made, but none could bring the old facility up to the standard needed to serve the college and community with adequate fitness and health opportunities.
While college and community athletic teams continue to utilize the facility, the demand for larger and more effective health-related activities is heard from dozens of user groups. Users represent cancer survivors, those in post heart-attack therapy, weight-loss programs, and many other health and fitness activities. Administrators determined that a major renovation could address serious deficiencies in college and community expectations for the old gym. The planning team determined the building to be structurally sound and recognized the historical significance of one the last art deco-style buildings in the region. Renovation, rather than new construction, was clearly the most fiscally responsible avenue of action and the one best supported by the community. Entrances will be upgraded, spectator facilities greatly improved, athletic needs expanded, and the renovated facility will increase service to the community in many different ways. Designers believe the grand old structure will be a source of pride to the college and the region and renovations are scheduled to begin in the Spring of 2008.