Options for Lactating Students & Employees
Centralia College recognizes the breastfeeding needs of new mothers by providing a Lactation Room for students and employees. The Lactation Room includes a mini- refrigerator, comfortable seating and side table, and electrical outlets for breast-pumps.
The Lactation Room is located in Washington Hall (WAH) Rm 204. To schedule, call the Facilities, Operations, and Maintenance Office (FOM), 360-623-8947.
Guidelines for Use
The Lactation Room is for use by nursing mothers only and may be used by employees and students.
- Registration with FOM is required for use on an ongoing basis.
- The Lactation Room is available on a first-come, first-served basis, Monday-Friday, during business hours and as scheduled. The person whose name appears on the schedule at a designated time has priority use of the room at that scheduled time.
- If you need to see when the room is available or you would like to be added to the schedule, please contact FOM. If you use the Lactation Room, it is your responsibility to keep yourself on schedule and notify FOM of any changes in your schedule and/or discontinued use of the room.
- Mothers using the space are responsible for providing personal breast pumps and accessories.
- Abuse of any Lactation Room will suspend your right to use it and may result in disciplinary action as appropriate.
- It is the responsibility of everyone using the Lactation Room to clean up after themselves. This is not only out of respect for the next user, but to prevent contamination and illness transmission. The custodial staff will clean the rooms nightly as part of the regular cleaning schedule.
- Milk stored in the Lactation Room should be properly labeled with the motherís name and date, so it is not inadvertently confused with another motherís milk. Each person is responsible for proper storage of expressed milk. The College will not be responsible for stored milk and milk left in the refrigerator. Any milk not retrieved within three (3) calendar days will be properly discarded.
Other Institutional Support for Employees
Breaks during work hours: Breastfeeding employees are allowed to breastfeed or express milk during work hours using their normal break and meal times. For times that may be needed beyond the usual break times, employees may use personal leave or may make up the time as negotiated with their supervisor. Breastfeeding support is provided up to one year after the child's birth.
The Lactation Room is available to employees. An employee may also use their assigned office space if preferred.
For questions or comments, please contact: Human Resources 360-623-8943. To schedule use of the room please contact FOM at 360-623-8947.