RN Nursing Program
Frequently Asked Questions
- What steps do I need to take to get admitted to the nursing program?
- How recently do I need to have taken the prerequisite algebra and chemistry classes?
- What about this requirement of "eligibility for NAC certification" for admission to the practical nursing (PN) program?
- I'm not ready to take nursing classes yet, but I am interested in becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant (NAC). Can I do this at Centralia College?
- How can I pay for my nursing education?
- Will there be changes for Fall 2015 admission?
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. What steps do I need to take to get admitted to the nursing program?
Your first step is to apply for general admission to Centralia College. All requirements are explained in detail in the Application Processs. If you have any questions, please contact Claudia Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org or Admissions@centralia.edu.
2. Are there any important specifications for the required and recommended courses?
- All required and recommended courses must be taken for a grade at a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants must earn a grade of at least 2.0 in each course.
- Math and science required and recommended courses must have been completed within ten years prior to the application deadline.
- Courses may be repeated no more than once. The highest grade in each repeated course will be selected for admission purposes.
- The criteria listed above cannot be appealed.
3. What about this requirement of "NAC certification" for admission to the nursing program?
Centralia College now requires incoming students to be fully certified as an NAC in Washington State. This includes both completion of the training class and passing the state exam. The nursing program can then focus on skilled nursing from the very beginning. An NAC training course, Health Services 131, is offered by the college each quarter. This course also may be taken at various local long term care facilities. Please note that NAC classes often fill quickly, and you are encouraged to sign up right away.
4. I'm not ready to take nursing classes yet, but I am interested in becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant (NAC). Can I do this at Centralia College?
Yes. Contact Durelle Sullivan in the Continuing Education office at 360-736-9391, ext. 378 or Angela Heaton, ext. 427.
5. How can I pay for my nursing education?
There are scholarships and Federal and State financial aid available. Contact the Financial Aid office at 360-736-9391, ext. 234.
6. Will there be changes for Fall 2015 admission?
Yes, there will be changes for Fall 2015 Admission. For Fall 2015 Admission applicants will be ranked according to:
- Highest number of points earned for required pre-requisite and recommended (core requirements) classes. See rubric below.
- Scores from the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
- Number of credits earned at Centralia College
- Random drawing of any remaining candidates
Students on the 2014 Alternate list will NOT be offered placement in the Fall 2015 class. Students on the 2014 (and subsequent year’s) Alternate list must reapply to be considered for admission into future years’ classes.
Fall 2015 Admission Rubric
|Minimum Admission Points||Maximum Admission Points|
|Required||Grade in BIOL& 241 x2||2||8|
|Required||Grade in BIOL& 242 x2||2||8|
|Required||Grade in CHEM&121 x2||2||8|
|Required||Grade in ENGL&101 x2||2||8|
|Required||Grade in MATH 146 x2||2||8|
|Required||Grade in PSYC& 200 x2||2||8|
|Recommended||Grade in BIOL& 260 x1||0||4|
|Recommended||Grade in SPEE110 x1||0||4|
|Recommended||Grade in SOCI101 or ANTH206 x1||0||4|