Workforce Education » Diesel Equipment Technology
Diesel Equipment Technology
In an industry that is expected to grow 15% by the year 2020, diesel technicians and mechanics are and will continue to be in high demand. Diesel technicians are employed in a variety of careers, working with heavy machinery that is vital to those industries. With a median income of $40,850 a year, and with medical and retirement benefits available at most jobs, the earning potential for a diesel technician is well over the national average for most other occupations.
Our Diesel Tech Program
Prepares students to meet the challenge of advancing technology and industry demand
- Associate in Applied Science in Diesel Equipment Technology
- Program Guide—Diesel Equipment Technology
Our Diesel Equipment Technology (DET) program prepares students with the technical knowledge and hands-on skills for high-demand careers in the logging, construction, mining, agriculture, and trucking industries. With a mixture of in-class instruction and hands-on training, Centralia College diesel tech students receive comprehensive training in welding and in the preventative maintenance and repair of diesel engines, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmissions, and HVAC systems.
Centralia College maintains a Diesel Technology Advisory Committee of industry professionals who are invested in the local community and are experts in the diesel industry. These advisors help to guide the college when changes in the curriculum become necessary as the diesel industry makes advances in technology or as industry demands change. Our goal is to ensure that we are offering our students the highest quality educational experiences available and that our students be as prepared as possible for real-world applications as they enter the diesel equipment technology workforce.
Career opportunities include the diagnosis, repair and maintenance of:
- Agricultural Equipment
- Construction Equipment
- Diesel Locomotion
- Heavy-Duty Equipment
- HVAC System
- Logging Equipment
- Trucking Equipment
Occupational Outlook, Job & Salary Statistics
For statistics on diesel technology occupations, see:
- Bureau of Labor Statistics > Diesel Service Technicians & Mechanics
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, Job & Salary statistics
- WOIS/The Career Information System (available for current students)
DET Program News
- NC Machinery donates to college's diesel program (2013)
- Two Jakes lead college's Diesel Technology program
- NC Machinery donates to college's diesel program (2011)
- Diesel Tech Club collects for food drive
- Diesel Tech program procures Freightliner for training
- Diesel program acquires diesel truck with grant money
Maintain and repair heavy equipment in a range of industries...
Email Tyson Lucas
DIESEL CLUB:See Student Clubs & Organizations > Diesel Tech.
Download DET Program Guide PDF