Medical Office Assistant
Certificate of Proficiency
PurposeThe Medical Office Assistant Certificate program combines general office skills with students in medical terminology, human biology, medical office procedures, and medical machine transcription.
Students who successfully complete this program should be able to:
- File correctly using alphabetic, numeric, geographic, and subject filing systems.
- Apply rules of grammar, punctuation, and spelling in written and oral communications.
- Prepare documents using word processing software.
- Format basic business letters, memos, reports, tables, and newsletters to office standards.
- Solve basic business math problems.
- Operate a 10-key electronic calculator by touch.
- Analyze and calculate data using spreadsheet software.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate effectively with others in the classroom.
- Demonstrate human relations skills and professional behavior necessary for successful job performance.
- Use medical terms correctly.
- Obtain a first aid certificate.
- Demonstrate an understanding of human biology.
- Write simple business letters and memos.
- Prepare a resume and letter of application.
- Transcribe medical documents from recorded dictation.
- Possess a basic understanding of medical office procedures using medical charts and records, electronic records,
receiving visitors, scheduling appointments, and confidentiality in a medical office.
Recommended course schedule
|BTEC 107||Electronic Medical Records||3|
|BTEC 102||Skillbuilding I||3|
|MA 260||Medical Terminology||4|
|HR 110||Human Relations-Workplace||5|
|BTEC 110||Business English||5|
|BTEC 210||Word I||5|
|BTEC 214||Excel I||5|
|HLTH 145||Safety & Fitness||3|
|BIOL& 170||Human Biology||5|
|BTEC 261||Medical Office Procedures||5|
|BTEC 120||Applied Business Math||5|
|BTEC 266||Medical Law & Ethics||3|