Associate in Technical Arts
The Welding Technology program prepares students to compete for employment as an entry-level welder in building trades, ship building, structural fabrication, automatic and semiautomatic welding, and in maintenance welding.
The Welding Technology ATA program prepares students for advanced welding skills in FCAW (Flux Cored Arc), GTAW (TIG), GMAW (MIG), and SMAW (stick) welding. Students will have the opportunity to gain WABO Welding Certification.
Program OutcomesStudents who successfully complete this program should be able to:
- Follow industry safety practices and recognize the effects of welding on health.
- Set-up and adjust SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, and oxy-fuel equipment and accessories.
- Apply principles and welding design practices to welding fabrication and inspection.
- Identify and make repairs to finished welds.
- Interpret information on welding blueprints.
- Apply principles of Metallurgy to welding fabrication and inspection.
- Create workable drawings to scale for reproduction.
- Perform 3-G and 4-G AWS - WABO welding code qualification tests.
Recommended Course Schedule
Fall Quarter, First Year
|WELD 159||Oxyfuel & GTAW Theory||4|
|WELD 160||GTAW Theory Lab||9|
|WELD 167||Metallurgy for Welders||4|
Winter Quarter, First Year
|MATH 095||Basic Math (if needed)||1-5|
|WELD 161||Arc Welding Theory||4|
|WELD 162||Arc Welding Lab||9|
Spring Quarter, First Year
|MATH 116||Industrial Math||5|
|WELD 126||Industrial Drafting||2|
|WELD 164||M.I.G. Welding Theory||4|
|WELD 165||M.I.G. Welding Theory Lab||6|
|DET 166||Shop Skills||3|
Fall Quarter, Second Year
|H R 110||Human Relations - Workplace||5|
|WELD 265||Advanced Arc Welding Theory||4|
|WELD 266||Advanced Arc Welding Lab||9|
|WELD 271||Blueprint Reading for Welders||4|
Winter Quarter, Second Year
|COMM 10||Written Communications||3|
|WELD 267||Advanced Gas Shielded Arc Welding Theory||4|
|WELD 268||Advanced Gas Shielded Arc Welding Theory Lab||9|
Spring Quarter, Second Year
|HLTH 145||Safety and Fitness||3|
|WELD 269||Advanced Fabrication and Welding Theory||4|
|WELD 270||Advanced Fabrication and Welding Lab||6|