Associate in Technical Arts
PurposeDesigned to meet the education needs of both working professionals and those seeking new employment in a variety of law enforcement and correctional agencies. Cooperative education components will be designed with local or state law enforcement agencies, correctional institutions, or social service support agencies. Courses offered in a variety of formats to accommodate the schedules of traditional and non-traditional students alike. Cooperative education components offered in partnership with regional law enforcement agencies, adult and juvenile correctional institutions.
Program OutcomesStudents who successfully complete this program should be able to:
- Discuss and demonstrate basic procedures related to the fields of law enforcement and corrections.
- Utilize knowledge about state and federal laws that impact law enforcement and corrections in decision making.
- Understand and discuss the difference in relationships between law enforcement, the community and other legal entities.
- Understand and describe the relationships that exist between the various law enforcement, corrections, and the courts systems and at the local, state and federal levels of government.
- Discuss ethics as related to law enforcement and corrections.
Recommended Course Schedule
Fall Quarter, Every Year
|CJ& 101||Intro Criminal Justice (required)||5|
|CJ 103||Constitutional Case Law (required)||5|
|CJ& 105||Intro to Corrections (CJ elective)||5|
|MATH 100||Technical Math||5|
Winter Quarter (Required courses)
|CJ 104||Intro to Law Enforcement (required)||5|
|CJ 107||Criminal Procedures (required)||5|
|CJ 224||Interview & Interrogation (CJ elective)||5|
|COMM 101||Written Communications (distribution requirement)||3|
|CJ 109||Community Policing (required)||5|
|CJ 111||Criminal Justice Ethics(required)||5|
|CJ 116||Community Corrections (elective)||5|
|CJ& 110||Criminal Law (required)||5|
|P E 229||Personal Fitness (distribution requirement)||3|
Summer Quarter (odd yr) or Spring (even yr)
|CJ 114||Critical & Current Issues (required)||5|
|CJ& 106||Juvenile Justice (required)||5|
|H R 110||Human Relations - Workplace||5|
Criminal Justice Elective Credits:
Select 25 credits from the following Criminal Justice program elective:
|CJ& 105||Intro to Corrections||5|
|CJ 116||Community Corrections||5|
|CJ 126||Homicide Investigation*||5|
|CJ 129||Intro to Victimology||5|
|CJ 130||Domestic Violence & Abuse||5|
|CJ 223||Felony Investigation||5|
|CJ 224||Interview and Interrogation||5|
|CJ 225||Crime Scene Technology*||5|
|CJ 228||Crime Scene Photography*||5|
|CJ& 240||Intro to Forensic Science||5|