Associate in Applied Science
PurposeThe Associate in Applied Science with a Business Administration Emphasis of Management provides students with a broad exposure to the principles and philosophies of business and management. Successful completion of the two-year program will help facilitate the process of graduates pursuing meaningful careers in a dynamic, changing business environment. It will also satisfy the requirements necessary for students to pursue additional advanced degrees.
Program OutcomesStudents who successfully complete the Business ATA program should be able to:
- Prepare statements to monitor, evaluate, and assess financial performance of the entity.
- Improve the performance of the entity by using tools of pricing, promotion, product development, and distribution.
- Apply quantitative methods for critical thinking and problem solving.
- Formulate a personal code of ethical behavior as it relates to a modern business environment.
- Utilize electronic technology, including accessing information from various sources.
- Work independently.
- Respond to the changing business climate.
- Recognize and analyze how general (macro) and specific (micro) economic forces shape the environment of business and decision making.
- Research, analyze, and report to both an internal and/or external evaluator.
- Accomplish group-oriented tasks where members are collectively responsible for the management and project outcome.
Students should have typing skills of 35 wpm and previous accounting experience/education or take BTEC 100 or 101 and ACCT 110/120 prior to beginning program.
Recommended course schedule
Fall Quarter, First Year *
|ACCT& 201||Principles of Accounting I||5|
|BUS& 101||Intro to Business||5|
|BTEC 210||Word I||5|
Winter Quarter, First Year
|ACCT& 202||Principles of Accounting II||5|
|BUS 121||Business Math||5|
|HLTH 145||Safety & Fitness||3|
Spring Quarter, First Year
|ACCT& 203||Principles of Accounting III||5|
|BUS& 201||Business Law||5|
Fall Quarter, Second Year
|BUS 215||Principles of Finance||5|
|BUS 220||Principles of Marketing||5|
|HR 110||Human Relations-Workplace||5|
Winter Quarter, Second Year
|HR 210||Human Resource Mgmt||5|
|ENGL& 101||English Composition I **||OR|
|BTEC 221||Business Communications||5|
|SPEE 110||Principles of Speech Comm.||OR|
|SPEE 220||Theory & Practice of Public Speaking||5|
Spring Quarter, Second Year
|BUS 250||Project Management||5|
|BUS 275||Principles of Management ***||5|
* Students going into BASM take MATH& 146 Introduction to Stats.
** Students going into BASM take ENGL& 101
*** Students going into BASM take Science Distribution course.